Yeah, some people think it's pretty dumb to watch Nascar. They say, "Who likes watching cars going around in a circle?" I say that it's so much more than that.
My love for all things racing started when I was a wee thing. My uncle used to race cars locally in Southern Illinois. I can barely remember watching him race because I believe he stopped when I was around the age of 2. But, I had a T-shirt that claimed my allegiance. Our Sunday afternoons at Granny & Grandpa's house was centered around watching Nascar. I remember watching the good ole boys: Yarborough, Petty, Waltrip, the Allisons, etc. But, then, junior high, high school and college happened. I still kept an "ear" to the sport, but of course when I was in college-TV was not allowed so I really lost track of it.
Fast forward to 2000. I was living all alone in my apartment in Kansas City and I was completely and utterly bored on Sunday afternoons. So, in the summer time, there is really nothing on. Or wait...there was. I flipped over to the Nascar race and fell in love with it all over again. I thought to myself, I need a driver to root for. So, for some reason, I picked this 2nd year guy from Indiana named Tony Stewart who drove the #20 Home Depot Pontiac. Why? Because he spoke his mind and didn't put up with much. Yeah, so he threw a few temper tantrums, got fed up with the media, but what driver didn't? He just voiced it.
By 2001, I was hooked. I couldn't wait for the Daytona 500. Well, my driver got turned and flipped about 4 times and ended up on his teammate. Uncool I thought. But, then of course as most of the Sports world knows: Dale Earnhardt died on the last lap. I continued watching and then finally got to go to my first race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the Brickyard 400. It was so much fun.
Then, I really really really wanted to go to the new Kansas Speedway that was opening up that fall with it's first race. I was so excited to find someone who sold us his tickets at face value. I used my stimulus refund check to buy tickets for me & my sister. We had a grand time. And, I am proud to say I have not missed a Sprint Cup or Nationwide race since the first ones that year. Craig & I are season ticket holders.
This weekend the races are here in town and it's a thrill a minute. I love the atmosphere: fans all over the place. Some people giving you a thumbs up and others telling you that your driver stinks. There's a camaraderie between people. We love the people that we sit around in the stands. They are great, nice, and easily talked to people. We love tailgating and grilling out. We are looking forward to spending some time with some friends that we only get to see once a year. We enjoy the time so much.
So, there you have it...my love for Nascar. Oh, I forgot the most important reason. Because of Nascar-I met my husband. We met online but Craig caught my eye because he was from Higginsville, MO. Now, remember-Tony Stewart was/is my favorite driver and I knew that he owned a World of Outlaws racing team that was based in Higginsville, MO! So, that was the ice breaker for me to say something. I introduced myself and said I was a racing fan. I asked Craig if he knew Danny Lasoski-the guy who drove for Tony in the WoO series. He said that his cousin used to be next-door neighbors with Lasoski. Wow...small world. Thus began our dating relationship. I'm not kidding. So, next time you want to bad mouth Tony Stewart-remember that he had a help in Craig & Leesha meeting, falling in love and getting married. BTW...if you want to know-Craig roots for Columbia, MO native Carl Edwards.
I'm attaching a picture of us at the track...one of our favorite things to do as husband & wife.
Farm Livin' Is the Life for Us!
Howdy! Welcome to our blog! After 7 1/2 years of marriage and dealing with infertility for 5 1/2 years of that time, we finally became parents through the miracle of adoption! We keep busy owning and operating our own farm while Leesha also works as a CSR/Insurance Agent for a local Agency. We truly enjoy being parents to our precious little boy, Jace. A typical post might include some new crazy antic that Jace has learned, or something that is on my heart, or whatever comes to mind that day. Thanks for stopping by!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love to hear back from you. Your words help encourage me.