The other day, I started reminiscing about the "good ole days". I absolutely loved DC Talk. I fell in love with them when I went on a missions trip before my sophomore year in High School. Also-a trivia fact: the same day we left was when Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait in 1990 that led to the first Gulf War.
Anyhoo...let's stay on track here. Missions trip to Hidalgo, TX 1990. Those who know me well know that I do not sleep in a moving vehicle. I only do if I am dead tired or sick. I was neither. I was getting to go away from home for 2 whole weeks. This was going to be an adventure of a lifetime. We had to take two 15 passenger vans and 2 trailers to get all of us there. I travelled in the "cool" van with the cool youth group leaders. I stayed up all night helping one of them stay awake while driving.
That is when I met and fell in love with DC Talk. I became a huge fan. I always loved their song Time Is. You know...time is tickin' away. Tick tick tickin' away. The song talks about using the time we have to further the gospel and invest in people's lives.This coincided with our message on Sunday. We are in John 13: the passage about the last supper. The message Sunday was centered on how we show love one to another; just like Christ showed to His disciples and especially His enemy-Judas who betrayed Him. Jesus took the time to invest in each of their lives even full well knowing who would betray Him, and who didn't love Him.
We are called to spend time investing in other people's lives...even if they are our enemies, or someone who has done us wrong.
Oh...talk about a tough message. We all can become so wrapped up in ourselves that we are too busy to do this, too busy to do that. We are too tired. Sometimes it is all of our own making and sometimes there is legitimately no time because of circumstances that come up. But...regardless we all must spend some time with others. It is how we show love.
It is how we are Christ-like. That right there, my friends is the key. If we don't have time for others, we are not being Christ-like. We are being self-centered.
I'm not saying we have to devote 24/7 or even a whole day to someone, but ANY amount of time is better than none and goes a long way to show love, care, and concern. It doesn't have to be in person physical time-but even just a phone call; or even a personal note via snail mail, e-mail or a message on Facebook.
I've been working on it. I know I can't get everyone at once, but I'm working on it.
After all...time is tickin' away. Tick tick tickin' away.

Hi! Here from HP! I totally remember that song...and I remember where I was on the night that the US bombed Kuwait--it was my NHS induction ceremony of my sophomore year...I remember because my dad wanted to stay home and watch the news coverage instead of coming to my ceremony. HAHA!
ReplyDelete