Last night, I couldn't sleep.
I had too much on my mind.
I told Craig that there just seems to be too many insurmountable mountains in my way, and I can't go around them. For some reason, I'm meant to climb them. Well, we are meant to climb them. As I have said before, when you are dealing with wanting to have a child, and you can't...you get through/over one hurdle only to come face to face with another.
It got me to thinking about climbing the mountain and doing it with all my heart. Even though it's tough and it seems insurmountable on so many levels-I can do it. Where would I get the inspiration?
Then it hit me...trip to the Smoky Mountains 2008 and our trek to the top of Clingman's Dome.
Now, Colorado people-don't hate me and think me a wimp, but for this midwestern girl to climb up to the top of a 6,643 foot mountain-it takes a lot of effort. I was greatly out of shape and it was HOT and HUMID...which does not bode well for someone who has fought asthma. I was not looking forward to the climb-but I wanted to see the top.
Not only was I in for the long haul, but there were two sets of people I observed and now that I think about it, their climb up to the top of Clingman's Dome really relates to my life.
First-there was an older lady in her 70's with a knee brace and a cane.
Second-there was a family of about 7 with the dad pushing 2 in a stroller, and another 3 walking with them.
Granted, it took us awhile to get to the top. I also might mention that we were vacationing with my sister & brother-in-law. So, here I am at all 5'5 3/4" of me, with Lori at 5'10"ish, Craig at 6' and Aaron 6'2 or 3". (sorry if I got it wrong Aaron!) Hello...tall people get longer strides!! Short people have to take 2 steps for every one step that a tall person takes. So, I was already at a disadvantage.
But, you know what? I made it.
But, what honestly sticks in my mind is not me making it to the top-but this woman, and this family.
We had been up at the top for awhile and were taking pictures and then decided it was time to head on-namely go eat. As we were coming down the ramp, we met the woman walking. She had sweat dripping off of her, she was huffing and puffing, she looked like she was at the end of her rope. But you know what?
She was smiling.
I think about that often in our life-how often we are crippled with events, attitudes, people, etc that to all others might hinder our "mountain climb" but yet-we press on and when we are able to reach to the top of that mountain-we can smile and say, "HEY PEOPLE...I MADE IT!" Even though we might look like we are the last person on this earth that is capable of climbing that mountain-we can do it with determination.
And as for that man with his family? Remember he was pushing 2 children in a stroller and there were at least 3 others walking on their own. Well...as we made our trek up, each of the kids started dropping and couldn't go further. I even heard a couple of cries.
But, what did this man do? He was a dad...what else could he do? He would stop and tell the older ones...you can make it. I won't leave you. He kept pushing the others in the stroller-taking all of the burden of the walk onto him. Eventually I saw him even let the others hop on the stroller and even on his back to help them.
Oh...so much like our Heavenly Father. He reaches out and encourages us. He says, "You can make this." "I won't leave you."
"I will carry you and take this burden. We will make it to the top together. Let me push you up and I won't let go!"
My point is this...if you stop and look, God speaks and gives us earthly examples of His unconditional love, His strength, His care. Everywhere is where God is.
Even in a climb up a literal mountain in the Smokies.
Farm Livin' Is the Life for Us!
Howdy! Welcome to our blog! After 7 1/2 years of marriage and dealing with infertility for 5 1/2 years of that time, we finally became parents through the miracle of adoption! We keep busy owning and operating our own farm while Leesha also works as a CSR/Insurance Agent for a local Agency. We truly enjoy being parents to our precious little boy, Jace. A typical post might include some new crazy antic that Jace has learned, or something that is on my heart, or whatever comes to mind that day. Thanks for stopping by!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Thanks for the reminder. Life is full of uphill climbs...and sometimes that it seems like it's both ways too. I'll be climbing along with you on this one and be a follower of your blog. Take care.
ReplyDeleteAngie
Awesome post. Definitely resonated with me. I'm glad God gave you those analogies. ♥
ReplyDeleteI would like to climb Pikes Peak this summer. Last year I only made it half-way. I did chuckle a little when I saw that the altitude you climbed TO is the altitude we would START AT here. :-) But then we don't have to deal with heat and humidity, that's for sure. Nonetheless, a climb is a climb and I'm sure it was challenging.
ReplyDeleteIn the last few weeks we've confirmed with Doctors and testing what we pretty much already knew after 13 years of marriage: getting pregnant is a statistical impossibility for us (with the obvious caveat that God can do whatever He wants to). We had pretty much already decided that we were going to do foster care for now and just take advantage of whatever adoptions come our way, so I was pretty surprised at how this news made us feel.
While we had accepted this reality in our heads and (I thought) in our hearts, no one had actually told us, "You aren't going to get pregnant." Hearing that as a statistical fact kind of felt like a door slamming shut. While we know in our heads that God is using us in ways we could never be used if we had biological kids, we still have a little bit of sadness in our hearts right now for the children we will never conceive.
I know many are on this path. It's good to know others feel the sadness, but also good to encourage each other. God has put everything in our life that we need to accomplish His will for us right now. We are not incomplete, no matter how tempting it may be to feel so.
This is the path God is taking us down (or the mountain He is taking us up), and while it is challenging at times, we are ok with it.
--Smile, keep climbing, and don't forget to enjoy the views!!! :-D (Come to Colorado if you need a refresher course.)