Okay, so I must admit...I have a burr in my saddle. Lately, it seems like I've heard comments coming left & right from people about children. Some know of our struggle, but some do not. They have recently included:
"Be careful what you wish for. Children can be impossible!"
-Sorry, but I'm gonna keep on wishing & praying & hoping for a child(ren). Just because you have trouble disciplining your children, doesn't mean I will have that trouble.
"Working full-time is so much easier when you don't have kids."
-That may be the case, but I would trade my job, the extra money for a child. I don't have to work full-time right now anyway. I "get" to because there is so much work to be done and I actually LOVE my job!
"When are you going to have a kid?"
-If you have that crystal ball that can answer that question for us, then by all means, answer that for us!
"What's wrong with you?"
-Seriously?
"At least you aren't dying of cancer."
-Again, seriously?!?
"You have so much more free time."
-Again, that may be the case, but I also know how to juggle a job, and kids. I was a full-time nanny while going to school full-time. I worked 40-60 hours a week, had a social life, and went to school 4 days a week.
"You should be thankful that you don't have kids. This world is so evil. Count it as a blessing."
-Well, the world may be evil; but I will love a child and teach them what is right and wrong. Again, just because your grown children are wayward doesn't mean that my desire to be a mom has to be squashed down.
There are so many more that I have heard of recently. It seriously is all I can do sometimes to not just tell the person to think before opening their mouth up to me next time. It is all I can do to not cry. I think I got the point across one day when I was told that working full-time was easier without kids. I know that my mouth went wide open and I went dead silent. I looked for Craig and said...we are leaving. It just amazes me how insensitive people can be.
Granted, I know that I am not dying of a disease, but would people walk up to someone who was and say stuff like, "Oh, be glad you aren't dying of (this type) of cancer." Or, well, at least you are going to die so you don't have to be in this world anymore. Just absolutely plain ridiculous.
Okay, so I feel better to have typed this out. It just hurts that people don't think. When I have gone through a trial like this, it really teaches me how to treat others. I remember when I was growing up and in Junior High. Because of some of the legalistic views that were pressed upon us when our family was first saved, we only wore split skirts and skirts. No pants, shorts, etc. I was made fun of repeatedly in school. When I was freezing my backside off not wearing jeans, I became a laughing stock. Eventually, we wore pants & shorts and jeans, but the damage was done. It made me stop and think about how I had been quick to make fun of people who were handicapped. Then, I started working with handicapped children and it just makes me furious now when people are made fun of because they were born with a "defect". So, that is how it is with Infertility: I'm a little less quick to open my mouth and say something to someone else because I do NOT know what is going on in their life. I don't want to be a downer...I want to be an encourager.
So, remember this...encourage others with your words...and think before you speak. I know that I need to be that type of person and I'm working on it with God's help.
I'll get off of my soap box now and hope that somewhere, somehow: someone will say the right thing.
Farm Livin' Is the Life for Us!
Howdy! Welcome to our blog! After 7 1/2 years of marriage and dealing with infertility for 5 1/2 years of that time, we finally became parents through the miracle of adoption! We keep busy owning and operating our own farm while Leesha also works as a CSR/Insurance Agent for a local Agency. We truly enjoy being parents to our precious little boy, Jace. A typical post might include some new crazy antic that Jace has learned, or something that is on my heart, or whatever comes to mind that day. Thanks for stopping by!
Tuesday, August 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Well said about unwanted, uncaring, untactful comments. I'm praying for you and Craig on your journey and just rely on Him. I can't relate to your struggles but as a sister in Christ I can hold you up that way. Hang in there!
ReplyDeleteRidiculous the things people say! After our struggles, granted we were having our third child but someone said "don't you know what's causing that" i just wanted to go into a rant of the whole process of artificial insemination and meds! Sad that people just don't think before they talk! I bet you have some pretty good comebacks thought out :)
ReplyDelete